Duration and general structure of the course
- The MA in Applied Irish is a 2 year part-time programme running over 4 semesters.
- Participants will complete nine taught modules in Semesters 1-3, and will undertake a supervised portfolio / minor dissertation module in Semester 4.
- There is an exit qualification (Dioplóma Iarchéime sa Ghaeilge Fheidhmeach / Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Irish) at the end of Semester 3 (60 ECTS credits).
- The 4 semester MA programme is worth 90 ECTS credits – 30 of which are allocated to the portfolio/ minor dissertation prepared in semester 4.
- Classes will take place one evening per week (Tuesday, 6.00 – 9.00 p.m.) during Semesters 1-3. There will also be 3 Saturday workshops per semester (4 hours each).
- Work on the Portfolio / Minor Dissertation will be supervised in Semester 4 with occasional class workshops as appropriate.
Modules and Credits
|Semester 1||Written and oral Irish: Analysis and production, tools and techniques||10 ECTS credits|
|Semester 1||Sociolinguistics 1||5 ECTS credits|
|Semester 2||Advanced writing skills||10 ECTS credits|
|Semester 2||Oral skills||5 ECTS credits|
|Semester 2||Irish language communicative media||5 ECTS credits|
|Semester 3||Translation and writing for professional purposes||15 ECTS credits|
|Semester 3||Style in Irish||5 ECTS credits|
|Semester 3||Sociolinguistics 2: Irish in contemporary society||5 ECTS credits|
|Semester 3||Research methodology||5 ECTS credits|
|Semester 4||Portfolio / Minor dissertation||25 ECTS credits|